Thursday, March 08, 2007

Milking Devon's for a change

I keep talking about Dexters and Kerry's. About time I try another breed of cattle. I am also in love with the Milking Devon. A lovely red breed of cattle of the middle horn type. They make wonderful oxen and decent milk cows for the small holding. There are a couple of people interested in using the milking Devon for cheese production. The milk quality and yield is excellent. I definetly think that they would work well in a farmstead cheese business.

Lawrence Gilley of Deansboro will be giving a talk on the Short History of the Devon Cattle for the Marshall historical Society on Thursday March 15th at 7:30pm. It is at the Town hall in Deansboro, NY. I will be there and look forward to the conversation.

The Milking Devon Society also has a very nice web site. The pictures are great and the classified information has a lot of animals on there. Very well done. www.milkingdevons.org

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home